Re: raid1 missing disk

On 13/10/17 01:58, James J Dempsey wrote:
I have a simple problem with a 2-disk raid-1 configuration that I can’t find the solution for on the internet so I hope someone can help.

One disk failed on my 2-disk raid-1 and I foolishly (physically) removed the disk before software removing it from the array.

The current state is that the array is running degraded with 1 disk.  My goal is to add a new disk and return it to a non-degraded 2-disk array.

I still have the failed disk, but I don’t really want to physically re-install it because the last time I tested that, the array started and showed the pre-failed data, not the current data.  My theory of this is that the computer switched it’s idea of which disk was /dev/sda and which was /dev/sdb as a result of the original removal.  So I’d like to just continue from this state without the confusion of adding that old disk physically back.

Can I just use mdadm -a to add the new disk into this existing array?  How do I get rid of the missing ‘ghost’ drive?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I’ll include the output of mdstat and mdadm -D and mdadm.conf below.

—Jim—

$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
       1953366016 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [U_]
       bitmap: 8/15 pages [32KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
$
Perfect...

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1
Wait for it to finish sync and you are all done (if only every broken raid issue was this easy ;)

Oh, make sure you have read and understood and fixed the timeout issue if using desktop drives.

Regards,
Adam