Re: SMART detects pending sectors; take offline?

On 12/10/17 10:50, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
> Thanks Phil... Googling around, I haven't found a way to change it
> either, but then again, I'm not really sure what to search for.
>
> What about changing my default disk timeout to something less than 120
> secs?  Say, 100 secs instead of 180?
>
> Seems like this issue should probably make it into the timeout wiki
> page, no?  Perhaps some instructions on how to query your system's
> hangcheck timeout, and thus making sure that you set your drive timeouts
> to less than that?

Very much so. What is a "hangcheck timeout"?

My wife has kindly bought the basics I need for a new PC for my birthday
(yeah! :-) and I've ordered two Seagate Ironwolfs to go with it, so I
will be setting this up from scratch. Raid, KVM, LVM, the works. So
hangcheck timeouts, documenting on the wiki, all the other bits, the
important thing is I'll have a brand new system I can play with that's
not got anything important on it and if the system (software side only,
of course :-) gets trashed, so what. I can try stuff out without
worrying about putting my live system at risk.

But back to topic. I know we have the disk timeout (on desktop drives,
any random number up to 180secs :-). We have the linux i/o wait timeout
- by default 30 secs. And now we have the hangcheck timeout, whatever
that is ...

Cheers,
Wol