Re: SMART detects pending sectors; take offline?

On 08/10/17 10:19, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
> Thanks Wol; that's *2* mistakes I've made; ugh.  /boot is on RAID1.  I
> have no RAID0's in the machine.

:-)

> These 3TB seagates are old ones, and were sitting in their original
> boxes for a few years unused.  3 others have already died, and one
> during a rebuild, causing tons of grief.  So, random or not, this one is
> going in the trash.  Seagate should refund me, but they never will.

My machine has two 3TB Barracudas - raid-1. So far (touch wood) they've
been reliable enough.

As soon as I can afford it (£700, money I haven't got :-) I'm going to
build a new machine - lvm/qemu on raid-1, then linux, windows, whatever
on top of that on raid-6.

The problem, of course, is I can't find much info on actually setting up
a machine with a minimal virtual-machine install then a bunch of vm's on
top. I guess it's all out there, but it's technical docu, not guides and
howtos. So I guess I'll be documenting it all :-) And maybe trying to
get a linux.org wiki to put it up on :-)

Cheers,
Wol