Re: Accidentally resized array to 9

On 09/29/2017 08:38 AM, John Stoffel wrote:
"Eli" == Eli Ben-Shoshan <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Eli> I need to add another disk to my array (/dev/md128) when I accidentally
Eli> did an array resize to 9 with the following command:

Eli> First I add the disk to the array with the following:

Eli> mdadm --manage /dev/md128 --add /dev/sdl

Eli> This was a RAID6 with 8 devices. Instead of using --grow with
Eli> --raid-devices set to 9, I did the following:

Eli> mdadm --grow /dev/md128 --size 9

Eli> This happily returned without any errors so I went to go look at
Eli> /proc/mdstat and did not see a resize operation going. So I shook my
Eli> head and read the output of --grow --help and did the right thing which is:

Eli> mdadm --grow /dev/md128 --raid-devices=9

Eli> Right after that everything hit the fan. dmesg reported a lot of
Eli> filesystem errors. I quickly stopped all processes that were using this
Eli> device and unmounted the filesystems. I then, stupidly, decided to
Eli> reboot before looking around.

I think you *might* be able to fix this with just a simple:

    mdadm --grow /dev/md128 --size max

And then try to scan for your LVM configuration, then fsck your volume
on there.  I hope you had backups.

And maybe there should be a warning when re-sizing raid array elements
without a --force option if going smaller than the current size?

I just tried that and got the following error:

mdadm: Cannot set device size in this type of array

Trying to go further down this path, I also tried to set the size explicitly with:

mdadm --grow /dev/md150 --size 1953383512

but got:

mdadm: Cannot set device size in this type of array

I am curious if my data is actually still there on disk.

What does the --size with --grow actually do?