Re: possible HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL failure

On 22/09/17 23:20, Phil Turmel wrote:
On 09/22/2017 04:27 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
On 22/09/17 11:08, Roger Heflin wrote:
If it is the marvell issue I had before then quit doing smartctl
commands (disable all smart queries of any sort) as that seemed to
massively increase the reliablity.  It did not completely fix the
issues, it just made them happen a lot less often.

I now tried this and it did not help. I stopped all smart access, but
running
a md 'check' fails as before (all the disks disappear). Each test fails
at a
different address. This time the machine was mostly idle when the check was
running.

I should note that this HighPoint card was running without any problem for
4 years.

Maybe a driver issue? I was running f19 until a few weeks ago, and the
failures
all happened after I upgraded to f22 (and now on f26).

Your issue sounds like an overheating controller chip.  Four years of
dust accumulation and/or fan bearing wear.  It's failing when you load
it down with a scrub.  Replace the controller card.

Thanks Phil,

Interesting. I checked the card and it still looks "as new", no dust.
It does not have a fan and the heatsink is glued firmly to the processor.
Does not look like there is anything I can do here.

I added a fan firing external air directly at the card and will test again
later. I really need to understand the source of the problem. If this fixes
it then I will get a replacement controller (the fan is just a hack).

Phil

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)