Re: Filesystem corruption on RAID1

Il 17-08-2017 19:33 Wols Lists ha scritto:
Which is fine until the drive, bluntly put, lies to you. Cheaper drives
are prone to this, in order to look good in benchmarks. Especially as
it's hard to detect until you get screwed over by exactly this sort of
thing.

It's more complex, actually. The hardware did not "lie" to me, as it correcly flushes caches when instructed to do. The problem is that a micro-powerloss wiped the cache *before* the drive had a chance to flush it, and the operating system did not detect this condition.

From what I read on the linux-scsi and linux-ide lists, the host OS can not tell between a SATA link glitch and a SATA poweroff/poweron. This sound to me as a SATA specification problem, rather than a disk/OS one. However, a fix should be possible by examining some specific SMART values, which identify the powerloss/poweron condition.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan