Re: Why can't I re-add my drive after partition shrink?

On 07/16/2017 05:37 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
On Fri, Jul 14 2017, Ram Ramesh wrote:

On 07/13/2017 08:35 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
<snip
Please report output of "mdadm --examine" on both a device that is active
in the array, and the device that you are trying to add.
Also "mdadm --examine-bitmap" of a device that is active in the array.

NeilBrown

I researched as much as I could on the net and came up with nothing
except some one saying that mdadm keeps something at the end of the disk
regardless of what it says about "Used Dev Size." Is it possible to move
this info so that I could re-add?

Ramesh

Neil,

    Since the problem, I did not want to leave my md in degraded state.
So, I added my drive back and paid the penalty for rebuilding. I have
other disks that need to be resized and *can get you want*. Please let
me know if that is what you meant. If  you wanted the current info after
successfully rebuilding the array after a regular add, it is below.
I only requested the information because it might help fix, or explain,
your difficulty.  If you don't currently have a difficulty, then I don't
need to look at any details.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

Thanks for your time. Yes, I still have the problem as I need to shrink other 5 disks in the array and I like to re-add rather than add and rebuild each time.

The host with the array is currently busy, and I will get this info tomorrow when I attempt the process on my next hard drive.

Ramesh