Re: Superblocks lost on all disks in array.

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Andreas Klauer
<Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 07:09:08PM +0200, Jean-Pierre Human wrote:
>> The array was setup with the below commands:
>> #mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md2 --level=10 --raid-devices=4
>> /dev/sdj /dev/sdk /dev/sdl /dev/sdi
>
> So you didn't use a partition table?
>
>> root@store02:~# mdadm --examine /dev/sd[iklj]
>> /dev/sdi:
>>    MBR Magic : aa55
>> Partition[0] :   4294967295 sectors at            1 (type ee)
>> /dev/sdj:
>>    MBR Magic : aa55
>> Partition[0] :   4294967295 sectors at            1 (type ee)
>> /dev/sdk:
>>    MBR Magic : aa55
>> Partition[0] :   4294967295 sectors at            1 (type ee)
>> /dev/sdl:
>>    MBR Magic : aa55
>> Partition[0] :   4294967295 sectors at            1 (type ee)
>
> And then "something" created one. Is that partition table empty?
> Or did it also create and format partitions, that would be worse.
>
> GPT partition table overwrites a bunch of sectors at both start and end.
> So that's where you'll find corruption, depending which mdadm metadata
> version you were using (which can also be located either start or end).
>
> To recover, you'll have to determine the correct RAID level / layout /
> order / data offset. It's best to do this with overlays
>
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID#Making_the_harddisks_read-only_using_an_overlay_file
>
> and only write to the real disks once you've found the setting that works.
>
> In the future, consider always using a partition table. Linux doesn't care *
> but the partition table is the most standard way to declare a disk is
> already in use and for what. Without a partition table, any software not
> md-raid aware will see your drive as free, unused, and might format it.
>
> (*) it will happily run anything you like on bare disks
>     but it won't do anything to protect you, either
>
> Regards
> Andreas Klauer

Hi Andreas

Thanks for the prompt response,

Yes I did not use a partition table. I have always in the past used
partitions but recently noticed a trend to use the device, wont do
that again.

I am really not sure what wrote those partitions there. I only see
free space in them if I check with fdisk.

I am sure it was metadata version 1.2

I will attempt to recover using the overlay, will post my results.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
J-P Human