Re: Linear device of two arrays

On Sat, Jul 08 2017, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 07/08/2017 05:26 AM, Veljko wrote:

>>> For this to work the existing RAID10 array must already be a member of a
>>> linear device with one component device.  If this linear array already
>>> exists then you could add another RAID10 array to the linear device.  If you
>>> currently have an XFS filesystem sitting atop a 'bare' RAID10 then I don't
>>> believe the linear option will work for you.  Thus I'd tend to agree with
>>> others that reshaping your current RAID10 is the best option.
>>>
>>> My apologies if I wasn't clear in my previous advice.
>>>
>>> Stan
>> Here is your previous advice:
>> "Do not use LVM.  Directly format the RAID10 device using the mkfs.xfs
>> defaults.  mkfs.xfs will read the md configuration and automatically
>> align the filesystem to the stripe width.
>>
>> When the filesystem reaches 85% capacity, add 4 more drives and create
>> another RAID10 array.  At that point we'll teach you how to create a
>> linear device of the two arrays and grow XFS across the 2nd array."
>>
>>  From this I concluded that it is possible to create linear device
>> using existing array, but since it is not the case, I'll just have to
>> create new array, move data to it, than add first array to a new
>> linear device (1 member), copy my data to it, and than join second
>> device to it. I wanted to avoid all this copying but will have to do
>> it. Than I will add one drive to spare-group both arrays will be a
>> members of, as advised by Andreas. Does this sound OK?
>
> Yes.  Although, I was hoping Neil Brown would chime in here. I'm not
> entirely sure that you can't do this the way I originally mentioned.

I wasn't clear to me that I needed to chime in..  and the complete lack
of details (not even an "mdadm --examine" output), meant I could only
answer in vague generalizations.
However, seeing you asked.
If you really want to have a 'linear' of 2 RAID10s, then
0/ unmount the xfs filesystem
1/ backup the last few megabytes of the device
    dd if=/dev/mdXX of=/safe/place/backup bs=1M skip=$BIGNUM
2/ create a linear array of the two RAID10s, ensuring the
   metadata is v1.0, and the dataoffset is zero (should be default with
   1.0)
    mdadm -C /dev/mdZZ -l linear -n 2 -e 1.0 --data-offset=0 /dev/mdXX /dev/mdYY
3/ restore the saved data
    dd of=/dev/mdZZ if=/safe/place/backup bs=1M seek=$BIGNUM
4/ grow the xfs filesystem
5/ be happy.

I cannot comment on the values of "few" and "$BUGNUM" without seeing
specifics.

NeilBrown