Re: My md won't assemble even when disks are in clean state.

On 06/09/2017 03:55 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 09/06/17 06:44, Ram Ramesh wrote:
Thanks. That did it. I was able to assemble. It assembled degraded and I
--re-added the remaining drives and it accepted without any issue. There
was no rebuild after --re-add which is consistent with the examine
output above that all disks are clean. Did fsck a couple of times for a
good measure and things seem normal now.
Just added a note to that effect to the "When things go wrogn" section
of the front page of the wiki. Arrays left partially assembled on boot
seem such a common problem that a one-liner there seems a fairly good idea.

Cheers,
Wol

Wol,

In fact, that is where I checked first to see if it is safe to stop the array. Since it did not have or I missed it, I got worried. Most of the trouble reported here seem to be created by user error in issuing wrong commands. So, I waited and posted the lengthy details even when my hunch was to stop the array and (re) assemble.

Thanks for adding the note. Google many times takes us to this page: https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Assemble_Run. It may be good idea to repeat it there, if this is not too much of redundancy.

Ramesh