Re: How to backup of large md raid volumes?

On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:39:59 -0500
Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is a summary of what I like to do. I want to backup files on to
> (multiple) disks that will be loaded on to a USB dock. Simple one to one
> copy is all I am looking for. I am not interested in full vs.
> incremental or keeping versions of files for restore. My data is just
> movies and songs. All I want is a SW that understands links (to avoid
> duplicates) and copy files in batch on to multiple disks. I want content
> of each (backup) disk to be independent. This way if one backup disk
> dies, I have all other files unaffected by this failure. The only reason
> I did not try multi-volume tar is the lack of independence across disks.

What I'm doing is storing files on my primary storage in folders according to
where they are backed up to.

E.g. "[back up of this is to be stored] On USB disk A", "B", etc.

In your case that would be:

/storage/OnDiskA/Movies/......
/storage/OnDiskA/Music/......

/storage/OnDiskB/Movies/......
/storage/OnDiskB/Software/......

(here I hit some wicked hotkey which causes the message to be saved and sent
prematurely :D)

/storage/OnDiskC/Photos/......

etc.

After that you can set up simple rsync to synchronize each folder to its
corresponding disk (though mine are network locations of various kind, not
transient USB devices, so I can set up rsync by crontab).

And for convenience in day-to-day use, you can merge all those folders into
one using one of the Union FS tools, such as mhddfs: https://romanrm.net/mhddfs

Running it with /storage/DiskA/,/storage/DiskB/,/storage/DiskC/ and mounting
them into /storage/all/, you would have

/storage/all/Movies/
/storage/all/Music/
/storage/all/Software/
/storage/all/Photos/

conveniently within one directory, i.e. directory trees from all the "Disk"
dirs overlaid onto each other. You do not have to use mhddfs to write through
it (since with one large storage it doesn't help you manage space), can just
keep using the individual dirs for precise allocation of what you want backed
up where.

Perhaps there are backup tools which would let you split backups without also
separating them in primary storage, but this is the way I found to be the
simplest (regular rsync), most transparent (can be inspected with any file
manager) and easy to work with (just drag files and dirs around).

--
With respect,
Roman