Re: Recovery on new 2TB disk: finish=7248.4min (raid1)

Am 27.04.2017 um 21:03 schrieb John Stoffel:
Mateusz> They will be synced one by one, just like one big md device.

No, big MD devices are sync'd in parallel assuming MD thinks they're
on seperate devices

if they are on sepearte drives it's no problem and no "seek storm"

Now in this case I admit I might have jumped the
gun, but I'm mostly commenting on the use of multiple MD RAID setups
on a single pair of disks.

It's inefficient.  It's a pain to manage.  You lose flexibility to
resize.

which don't matter if you have LVM on top

Just create a single MD device across the entire disk (or possibly two
if you want to boot off one mirrored pair) and then use LVM on top to
carve out storage.  More flexible

but you can't boot from a RAID5/RAID6/RAID10 so you have a single point of failure of a single boot disk or need at least two additional disks for a redundant boot device

frankly on a proper designed storage machine you have no need for flexibility and resize because for it's entire lifetime you have enough storage at all and in case of LVM it don't matter how many md-devices are underlying the LVM