Re: Re-assembling array after double device failure

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 01:38:13PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> I'm fairly confident that the drives themselves are actually okay -
> nothing untoward in SMART data - so I'm not going to replace them at
> this stage.

You did not show any logs or SMART output. There is literally nothing
in your mail that points at timeouts. If your confidence is based on
the frequent "disk got kicked. must be timeouts!!1" mails on this list,
then I wish you all the best. Praying works for some people, right...?

If you get two disks kicked, chances are something is seriously wrong.
If there is any doubt at all, and no backups exist, ddrescue both drives.
Better to make a copy you don't need than need a copy you didn't make.

Be very careful with mdadm --create. Defaults change over time and
rescue systems might give you old mdadm versions, so you have to
specify everything (metadata version, data offsets, ...).

Consider using overlays for experiments:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID#Making_the_harddisks_read-only_using_an_overlay_file

(But not on faulty drives.)

Regards
Andreas Klauer