Re: Bit-Rot

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 5:56 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:15:39AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>>
>>> This is what ZFS does. This is what Gluster does. This is what BRTFS does.
>>> Adding this in mdadm could be an interesting feature.
>>
>> This has been discussed several times. Yes, it would be interesting.
>> It's not easy to do because mdadm maps 4k blocks to 4k blocks. Only
>> way to "easily" add this I imagine, would be to have an additional
>> "checksum" block, so that raid6 would require 3 extra drives instead
>> of 2.
>>
>> The answer historically has been "patches welcome".
>>

> There was/is an early prototype implementation of checksums for Linux MD RAID:
>
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bpkroth/cs736/md-checksums/
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bpkroth/cs736/md-checksums/md-checksums-presentation.pdf
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bpkroth/cs736/md-checksums/md-checksums-paper.pdf
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bpkroth/cs736/md-checksums/md-checksums-code.tar.bz2
>

> Also there's the T10 DIF / DIX (Data Integrity Fields / Data Integrity eXtensions) functionality that could be used, at least if the hardware setup is SAS-based (SAS HBA + enterprise SAS disks and modern enough firmware on both that enable DIF/DIX..).
>
> I guess MD RAID could also 'emulate' T10 DIF/DIX even if the HBA/disks don't support it.. but dunno if that makes any sense.

There is a device-mapper target that is designed to do precisely this - dm-integrity (see dm-devel mailing list).  It currently being developed as part of an authenticated encryption project, but could be used for this too.  Note that there is a performance penalty that comes from emulating this.

 brassow