Re: on assembly and recovery of a hardware RAID

On Fri, Mar 10 2017, Alfred Matthews wrote:

> Hello list. I'm facing a non-redundant Western Digital hardware RAID,
> for which, hardware seems to cause a kernel panic at about 3 seconds
> running time.
>
> I've assembled the customary testing. The drives appear to be striped RAID 0.
>
> Output: http://pastebin.com/c361jGVx
>
> Evidently WD metadata changes over time, since a new console (adding
> USB) will not recognize the drives without erasing them. Files are
> visible as files for the short period of controller health.
>
> I imagine I'm trying to assemble a 2 x 3TB RAID array from the
> original WD disks when mounted as SATA.
>
> Seeking input on proper mdadm configuration for this.
>
> Then I imagine that I may recover files-as-files from this 2 x 3TB to
> standalone disks. Ultimately they would need to move to a new RAID.
>
> Failing: WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo, 2x3TB
> New, incompatible: WD My Book Pro, 2x3TB.
>
> Thanks for any comment.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Does
  dmraid -b /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
tell you anything useful?

You will probably want a command like:

 mdadm --build /dev/md0 -l0 -n2 --chunk=SOMETHING /dev/sdXX /dev/sdYY

where SOMETHING is the chunk size. e.g. 64K or 512K or something.
Doing this is non-destructive so you can try several different times,
using "mdadm --stop /dev/md0" to reset before trying again.

After building the array, try "cfdisk /dev/md0" or maybe "fdisk
/dev/md0" to look at the partition table.

What filesystem(s) did you have on the device? Maybe "fsck -n /dev/md0p1"
might tell you if the filesystem looks OK.

NeilBrown