Re: Auto replace disk

On 09/03/17 05:32, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

Why ? I've removed many, many, many disks before with no issue.
Why removing a disk should bring the whole array down? This seems a bug to me.
If a disk will crash, the effect is the same as removing from the slot
and RAID is
meant to protect against this kind of failures.

In general a good number of "help me my RAID is dead" requests that hit this list are due to not performing routine array or drive scrubs. So one drive dies, and one of the others has a previously unknown bad sector. When you put the new drive in, during the rebuild the bad sector is hit and the whole array comes tumbling down.

Doing a proactive replacement reduces the possibility of this occurring. Having said that, if your disk is dead then there's no other option anyway. Regular array scrubs go a long way to mitigating this risk, but it does happen frequently enough that you need to be warned against it.

Just because it hasn't happened to you *yet* does not mean you're immune, and it's certainly not a *bug*.