Re: [BUG] non-metadata arrays cannot use more than 27 component devices

On 02/25/2017 06:30 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 25/02/17 22:00, Phil Turmel wrote:

>> No. Don't go there.  There's already a technology out there that does
>> this correctly, called LVM snapshots.  And they let you resume normal
>> operations after a very brief hesitation, and the snapshot holds the
>> static image while you copy it off.
>
> Will it let you put that snapshot on a hot-plug disk you can remove? For
> my little system I'd quite happily mirror it off onto a hard-disk and
> unplug it.

You can copy it off to any block device you like, or dd it to a file, or
dd and gzip to a compressed file.  Anything you can do to copy a
partition to backup can be used on the snapshot.

> Oh - and I'm not running lvm. Not that I think there's anything wrong
> with that, it's just yet another layer that I'm not (currently)
> comfortable with.

So you know how to use a hammer, and don't feel comfortable with using a
handsaw, so you're going to smash a board in two instead of sawing it?

Ok, maybe that was too facetious. (-:

> Is there a sound technical reason not to go there, or is it simply a
> case of "learn another tool for that job"? The less tools I have to know
> the better, imho.

Um, no, imnsho.  Learn new tools when you need them.

Linux raid has no formal mechanism to cleanly separate a mirror from a
running array, access it as a backup, and not risk corruption when
re-attaching it to the array.  Most filesystems write to the partition
when mounting, even for read-only mounts.  You cannot safely access the
disconnected member except via pure block reads.

Phil