Re: Reshape stalled at first badblock location (was: RAID 5 --assemble doesn't recognize all overlays as component devices)

On 02/21/2017 08:12 PM, George Rapp wrote:

> Before I proceed for real, does clearing the badblocks log and
> assembling the array seem like my best option?

Yes.  And consider disabling badblocks on all of your arrays.

The badblocks feature does nothing but guarantee that errors
encountered on a device become uncorrectable, even if the cause
of the error was a transient communications or power problem, not
a true media flaw.  Bad block tracking at the OS level is
appropriate for ancient MFM and RLL devices that lack modern
firmware, or similar low-level devices.  And since the MD raid
bad block tracking feature does *not* provide redirects to
usable spare sectors, the feature is useless for such devices,
too.

MD raid currently does *nothing* when a badblock entry reduces
the redundancy available for a particular sector in an array.
The badblocks feature is incomplete, has no upside for modern
component devices, and should not be used.

Phil