Re: errors when reading in one section of a disk

Ross> I suspect this problem has little to do with RAID, but since I'm
Ross> using it I thought I'd start here.  I have 3 disks in a Vantec
Ross> HX4 4 SATA drive box, connected by USB.  Repeatedly, when I try
Ross> to read certain sectors of one disk every disk in the box seems
Ross> to reset and then get remounted.  I thought this was a transient
Ross> power failure the first time (though I'm on UPS), but when it
Ross> happened again I figured the problem was elsewhere.  I am
Ross> surprised that a read failure on one drive seems to reset the
Ross> entire connection to the box.

Ross> The disk is a relatively new WD Red Pro, and so seems unlikely
Ross> to have a physical failure.  The Vantec box is almost 5 years
Ross> old, and seems a better suspect.  The only reason I can think
Ross> that reading a particular spot on one disk would make it fail is
Ross> that this is perhaps accompanied by some other activity at the
Ross> same time.  The Vantec itself supplies no RAID or anything
Ross> fancy, just access to the drives.

I'd just replace the Vantec box, the USB-SATA bridge is probably A)
slow, and B) flaky.