Re: Recommendation on new system Arrays

Hi Ben,

{Convention on kernel.org is reply-to-all -- please do.}

On 01/07/2017 11:04 PM, Benjammin2068 wrote:

> Also in other news.... (maybe someone from this list can help since they've run into it before)
>
> The motherboard of the computer has its own SATA controller as usual... as well as this Avago SAS controller.
>
> When CentOS 7 boots up, it enumerates the external SAS drives starting at /dev/sda instead of the motherboard's drives.
>
> The OCD in me wants the MB's SATA drives as /dev/sda-sdd.
>
> Where does one even control that enumeration order? udev? Eeks.

You cannot control the order.  Period.  It is pseudo-random based on
hardware responses to driver loads.  New kernels can have entirely
different orders of devices, and if parallel loads are allowed, you can
have one controller get sd[aceg] while another gets sd[bdfh]. The entire
system of LABEL= and UUID= support via initramfs and blkid is intended
make fstab and other utilities deterministic in spite of varying names.

mdadm has always been resistant to naming problems thanks to its device
#s and UUIDs in the superblocks.

Phil