Re: Intel SSD or other brands

On 30/12/16 05:50, Doug Dumitru wrote:
Mr. Goryachev,

I find it easier to look at these numbers in terms of IOPS.  You are
dealing with 17,500 IOPS vs 100 IOPS.  This pretty much has to be the
"commit" from the drive.  The benchmark is basically waiting for the
data to actually hit "recorded media" before the IO completes.  The
"better" drive is returning this "write ACK" when the data is in RAM,
the the "worse" drive is returning this "write ACK" after the data is
somewhere much slower (probably flash).  I would note that 17,500 IOPS
is a "good" but not "great" number.

So what would you consider a great number? I guess in practice the environment isn't really that massive, it shouldn't really *need* great numbers, but it seems no matter how hard I try to "over-architect", it is still not performing to end user expectation.
Doing commit writes to Flash is expensive.  Not only do you have to
wait for the flash, but you have to update the mapping tables to get
to the data.  Flash also does not typically allow 4K updates (even
given the erase rules), so your 4K sync update probably has to update
a 16K "page" is probably causing a lot of flash wear.  Maybe as much
as 10:1 write amplification.  Maybe more.
Wear doesn't seem to have been a problem so far.

9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032 000 000 000 Old_age Always - 914339h+46m+34.180s This is obviously wrong, I haven't had the drive for >100 years, but it is at least almost 4 years old (early 2013 I suspect). 233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 095 095 000 Old_age Always - 0 This is the worst drive out of the whole array, the best is 99, but either way it suggests these drives could easily last >10 years, which would be well and truly longer than their expected/useful life (based on capacity).

241 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3329773 This is the drive with the highest number of writes.... Obviously most writes are smaller than 32MB, so I'm not entirely sure what this means, but I suspect we are not doing a lot of writes per day compared to the total storage capacity... 3329773 * 32MB / 3 years / 365 days = 97308MB/day. Total capacity is 480*7 = 3360GB or approx 0.03 per drive writes per day.

I've actually asked this question before, but here again we find what appears to be an anomaly... some drives have significantly more writes than others, and I don't understand why in a RAID5 array this would be the case, I would have expected the writes to be split approx equally across all drives... 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1501762 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1712480 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1684811 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 1781849 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2282764 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2269957 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2154155 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2163563 225 Host_Writes_32MiB 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3329774

It's hard to calculate whether some drives were replaced or similar due to the nonsense power on hours values.... but generally all these drives were purchased at the same time, and so should have been used mostly equally.

In the case of RAID-5 in a "traditional" Linux deployment, and
especially with DRBD protecting you on another node, you are probably
fine without having every last ACK "perfect".  After all, if you power
fail the primary node, the secondary will become the primary, and any
"tail writes" that are missing will get re-sync'd by DRBD's hash
checks.  And because the amount of data being re-synced is small, it
will happen very quickly and you might not even notice it.
Right, and at this stage I'm not even looking at data integrity, I'm only examining "performance". In fact, it would be within the "acceptable" parameters" to lose some data under a "disaster" scenario (where disaster means losing both primary and secondary in an unclean shutdown). Of course, I wouldn't design the system to do that, but it isn't a strict requirement, as long as "normal" processes mean no data loss/corruption, and any drive should (eventually) write all the data it has told you it will.
Back to performance, you should also consider what your array is doing
to you.  You are running an 8 drive raid-5 array.  This will limit
performance even more because every write becomes 2 sync writes, plus
6 reads.  With q=1 latencies, if you run this test on the array with
"good" drives, you should probably get about 15K IOPS max, but it
might be a bit worse as the read and write latencies add for each OP.
Right, and one thing I've considered was moving to RAID10 to avoid this, but even RAID10 means 2 writes. Assuming reads are relatively quick, than that should reduce the impact of the RAID5 as well. At this stage, converting to RAID10 is still something I'm holding up my sleeve as a last resort (due to the additional wasted capacity).

Note that my tests are all on single drives, not the array. I can't afford to be doing testing on the full array due to the destructive nature, and also it is almost impossible to get a quiet moment where the tests wouldn't be affected by workload.
I tried your test on our "in house" "server-side FTL" mapping layer on
8 drives raid-5.  This is an E5-1650 v3 w/ an LSI 3008 SAS controller
and 8 Samsung 256GB 850 Pro SSDs.  The array is "new" so it will slow
down somewhat as it fills.  439K IOPS is actually quite a bit under
the array's bandwidth, but at q=1, you end up benchmarking the
benchmark program.  (at q=10, the array saturates the drives linear
performance at about 900K IOPS or 3518 MB/sec).

root@ubuntu-16-24-2:/usr/local/ess# fio --filename=/dev/mapper/ess-md0
--direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=write --bs=4k --iodepth=1 --runtime=60
--time_based --group_reporting --name=ess-raid5 --numjobs=1
Would it be possible for you to run the test on a single drive directly instead?

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
   WRITE: io=102653MB, aggrb=1710.9MB/s, minb=1710.9MB/s,
maxb=1710.9MB/s, mint=60001msec, maxt=60001msec
I might be looking at the wrong value, but you are getting 1711MB/s out of an 8 drive array, I got a max of 99MB/s on a single drive, even if I multiply that by 7 (8 drives - 1 redundancy), it's still less than half. I'd be pretty keen to see your single drive results. Also whether those results will change when using the 800GB model.

Thank you for your advice, I'll see whether I can find a way to purchase one of the samsung drives for testing/evaluation, then seem to be a similar price to the Intel S3510 that I was looking at.

Regards,
Adam

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Adam Goryachev