Re: Fwd: (user) Help needed: mdadm seems to constantly touch my disks

Mr Brown,

Let me begin with: please give me your paypal address or something so
that I can at least buy you a beer or something

Your analysis and discovery that iSCSI is the origin of writes got me
thinking: how can he see that on md0 device if that device has two
more layers (bcache + LVM) before iSCSI even comes into play. Maybe
the system propagates the origin down the block devices or something,
totally not relevant here. So I embarked on a journey of total data
destruction by disabling one layer at a time. I started by simply
detaching bcache as that was the first thing on the list - and was
non-destructive to boot :)

I have found the culprit:
It is bcache that does the one second writes. I have yet to find the
exact parameters that influence this behaviour, but the output of
writeback_rate_debug is EXTREMELY clear: it's writing a bit of data
each second, reducing the dirty cache by that tiny amount. This is
what causes the write "amplification" resulting in clicks long after a
write has been done - because bcache only writes tiny amounts each
second instead of flushing the entire cache at once when the time
comes.

Thank you for your time and please consider the first sentence of this mail

LP,
Jure