RE: md prefered minor has been renumbered

From: Phil Turmel [philip@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 6:10 PM
To: Randall C. Grimshaw
Cc: Linux-RAID
Subject: Re: md prefered minor has been renumbered

Hi Randall,

{ Convention on kernel.org is reply-to-all and to avoid top-posting. I
added the list back. }

On 11/28/2016 05:56 PM, Randall C. Grimshaw wrote:
> Thank you Phil:
>   the linux rescue mode didn't have blkid but I had the uuid's from mdadm --examine,
> so I tried uuid=xxxxx in the fstab file. no joy. it is failing in the load of the ramfs, after assembly but before fstab.
>   it appears that I am caught in the catch22 where I cannot update initramfs until I minimally fix the duplicate md122 problem so that I can assemble /var and mount it.
> Randall

You must use the form UUID="xxxx" with caps and quotes.

you can test with mount UUID="....." /path/to/mount/point to check.

Phil
----------------------------------

Phil:
  Sorry for the typos and the top posts. Even with Caps and Quotes I was still in trouble.
sequentially it complains that md122 is already running - it cannot run /sdb5 (the duplicate)
then it tries to resume from /dev/md1 -- (md1 remains as swap) then a bunch of indicators that the initramfs
is unable to mount everything... but the post I found was basically correct.
I suspect it was the conflicting devices that made my situation different but the solution was to specify the
device to mdadm using uuid= (thank you for that tip)
so my assembly command looked like: mdadm -A --uuid=xxxx --update=super-minor /dev/mdx
it solved the conflicting devices and returned my system to running state.
[SOLVED]