Re: md prefered minor has been renumbered

On 11/28/2016 03:39 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
> I did say IME :-)

(-:

>> Most modern systems have two copies of mdadm.conf.  One in the initramfs
>> so you can boot a root filesystem that is inside an array, and the other
>> in your root filesystem to assemble everything else.
>
> Mine don't appear to have any ... and when I've tried to create one, it
> was ignored. Of course, that doesn't rule out incompetence on my part
> :-) But it means the defaults are perfectly okay for me :-) and probably
> most people most of the time ...

If you create an mdadm.conf file, and *don't* put it in your initramfs,
and are using a distro that assembles in the initramfs, your mdadm.conf
file will be ignored *during* *boot*.  But then used any other time
after boot.  If you just left it there, the next kernel upgrade or
package that triggered a new initramfs would have picked it up.  And
"magically" applied those array numbers on your next boot.

> I think I created several of my arrays as md0/1/2. And they stayed that
> way for a little while before deciding to renumber.

Sounds like your distro changed its initramfs around that time.

Phil