Re:Please help RAID1 complete fail no superblock

>On 22/11/16 14:49, George Rapp wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM, theelectricengineer@xxxxxxxxx
>> <theelectricengineer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hello good people of the linux-raid group,
>>>
>>> I really need your help with my RAID1 that has completely failed, on which I have photos of my beloved deceased grandparents.
>>>
>>> I had the RAID1 array for about 3 years, and I had replaced one of the drives when it failed about one year ago. All worked fine.
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, I bought a new computer and wanted to move the array to the new computer.
>>> I read several guides, and thought that all I had to do was turn both computers off, move the drives, and in the new computer execute: mdadm --assemble --scan
>>> which I did.
>>>
>>> The output was: mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted
>>>
>>> I panicked, moved the drives back, but the old RAID wouldn't start!
>>> The old computer too says that one of the drives has no superblock
>>> and, even worse, that the other is UNALLOCATED SPACE!!!
>>>
>>> I don't understand why the partition on the second drive disappeared, and I'm so worried.
>>>
>>> PLEASE, PLEASE help me...
>>>
>>> I read the wiki pages (raid wiki kernel), but I'm afraid to run any commands that might make things worse.
>>>
>>> I would be very happy if I could restore the data from either one of the drives,
>>> and copy it to the new drives in my new computer (as I should have done before moving the drives).
>>>

>> Yaniv -
>>
>> One more piece of information that would be helpful is the partition
>> tables for each drive:
>>
>> # fdisk -l /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
>>

> And search the archive for the following thread - "RAID10 with 2 drives
> auto-assembled as RAID1". It's pretty recent.
>
> You've got a mirror, which means both of your drives should have a valid
> filesystem on them, so things look optimistic. It's just a case of
> finding it - that thread should help you look. The experts will chime
> in, but if you can find the string sequences they're looking for, it'll
> help you recover the partition(s). What filesystem were you using?
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Thank you both for the quick response,

Attached are the outputs of fdisk -l for both drives.

I read the correspondence in the archived email thread "RAID10 with 2 drives
auto-assembled as RAID1",
but I don't understand what I should do.

Could you please guide me?
I'm afraid to execute any unfamiliar commands that might lower my chances of saving my data.

Thank you so much!

Yaniv

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x087c1355

/dev/sdb1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdc'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdc: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 363376 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.