Re: Please help RAID1 complete fail no superblock

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM, theelectricengineer@xxxxxxxxx
<theelectricengineer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello good people of the linux-raid group,
>
> I really need your help with my RAID1 that has completely failed, on which I have photos of my beloved deceased grandparents.
>
> I had the RAID1 array for about 3 years, and I had replaced one of the drives when it failed about one year ago. All worked fine.
>
> A few weeks ago, I bought a new computer and wanted to move the array to the new computer.
> I read several guides, and thought that all I had to do was turn both computers off, move the drives, and in the new computer execute: mdadm --assemble --scan
> which I did.
>
> The output was: mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted
>
> I panicked, moved the drives back, but the old RAID wouldn't start!
> The old computer too says that one of the drives has no superblock
> and, even worse, that the other is UNALLOCATED SPACE!!!
>
> I don't understand why the partition on the second drive disappeared, and I'm so worried.
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE help me...
>
> I read the wiki pages (raid wiki kernel), but I'm afraid to run any commands that might make things worse.
>
> I would be very happy if I could restore the data from either one of the drives,
> and copy it to the new drives in my new computer (as I should have done before moving the drives).

Yadiv -

One more piece of information that would be helpful is the partition
tables for each drive:

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

--
George Rapp  (Pataskala, OH) Home: george.rapp -- at -- gmail.com
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgerapp