Re: recovering failed raid5

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:33:04 +0200
Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 01:22:31PM +0100, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
> > One remaining question: is sdc definitely toast?
>
> In my opinion a drive is toast starting from the very first reallocated/
> pending/uncorrectable sector, your drive has several of those and that's
> only the ones the drive already knows about - there may be more.

I'd say you are overly cautious on this. Yes there are drives for which one
reallocated sector is a sign of the coming avalanche of them, but then there
are also ones (e.g. my Hitachi 2TB) which work for years, over than period
develop 3-5-7 reallocated sectors, and THAT'S IT, they just continue to work.
And if there's an unreadable sector on rebuild as a drive found its 8th bad
sector after 3 more years of perfect operation, that's not a problem either,
because the setup they run in, is RAID6. (Not to compensate for this, but I
wouldn't be running a 8-10 drive RAID5 in any case).

--
With respect,
Roman