Re: How to fix mistake on raid: mdadm create instead of assemble?

Hi,

Thanks Andreas,

Yes apparently, 3/4 of the original disks seem to be safe. But I'm
terrified at the idea of doing something wrong assembling them.
Incidentally, I indeed did a mistake trying to assemble the ddrescue
images of the 3 safe disks. I tried to create again with proper
metadata and chunck but it did not work. I'm still scared at the idea
of restarting the original raid. I'm currently ddrescuing again the 3
partitions to then try and *assemble* them rather than *create*.

Thanks Wol,

I use loop devices because I work on partition images, not on actual partitions:
I use ddrescue to copy data from /dev/sd[abc]10 to
some.other.server:/home/sd[abc].img
Then I go to some.other.server and turn the images into loop devices :
losetup /dev/loop0 /home/sda10.img
losetup /dev/loop1 /home/sdb10.img
losetup /dev/loop2 /home/sdc10.img
Then I tried to created the raid, it worked but as I said, the
filesystem was unreadable.
I know the idea of using loop devices works because I tested it before.
I'm doing the whole procedure all over again (takes 5 days to ddrescue
the 3 partitions to another server) and then I will use the command
you recommended :
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 --force

Will keep you posted

Santiago DIEZ
Quark Systems & CAOBA
23 rue du Buisson Saint-Louis, 75010 Paris