Re: Linux raid wiki

On 26/09/16 22:19, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 09/26/2016 12:44 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
>> The next section -
>>
>> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Assemble_Run
>>
>> addresses what to do if the array is messed up in some way. Would you
>> mind taking a look at that now too :-)
>
> Hmmm.  The last bit is less than ideal.  If all drives are faulty, but
> runnable in the array with at least one drive of redundancy, the best
> way to put good drives in service is one-by-one mdadm --replace.  That
> lets the redundancy fix any errors, and doesn't load down the problem
> drive any more than ddrescue would.  And it has the benefit of
> increasing reliability as you go.
>
> If you don't have any redundancy left, then ddrescue of all readable
> drives is reasonable.

Which is the state this page is meant to cover. I'm assuming that if you
get this far, you have at an absolute minimum had to have done a
"--force --assemble" just to get a working array.

Each page has been intended to successively cover the state of the array
getting worse. The next page is "my metadata is trashed - mdadm says the
drive doesn't exist". I'm really not sure how to tackle that, but I know
there are several threads which cover damaged or trashed superblocks. I
think I'll just have to say "this is how you track down a GPT. This is
how you track down a superblock. This is how you interpret it. Get the
experts to help you put the array together again."

Cheers,
Wol