Re: Linux raid wiki - setting up a system - advice wanted :-)

On 26/09/16 15:13, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 09/26/2016 02:50 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
>
>> Bare metal -> raid [-> lvm] -> /
>>
>> Is there any room on the disk to install grub?
>
> No.

Ten out of ten. Thanks.

(Hint to examinees - please answer the question on the paper, not the
question you want to answer :-)

>> (Note that - and I know you shouldn't believe everything you read on the
>> internet - apparently Neil Brown prefers passing the entire
>> unpartitioned disk to raid ...)
>
> I'm with Neil for my large arrays.  I partition a pair of SSDs for UEFI
> boot and a raid mirror holding an LVM volume group for the OS.  All
> other drives are unpartitioned, given entirely to a raid6 w/ a small
> chunk size (16k lately).  A separate LVM volume group on top of that.
>
> ( I no longer use any bootloader, either, as UEFI will boot a kernel
> directly that's been built with EFI_STUB and a nested initramfs. )

That's good to know. I don't have any experience with UEFI as yet, so I
can document that as a hint to others.

Cheers,
Wol