Re: Best tool to partition Drives with new sector geometry - (WAS: Need Help with crashed RAID5 (that was rebuilding and then had SATA error on another drive))

On 09/18/2016 12:50 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> This is one of the dumbest things, haha. I do not for the life of me
> understand what distribution won't backport this, if they're unwilling
> to put modern tools for modern hardware in their distributions. It's
> one of the simplest, safest backports they could do and yet they
> don't. Incredible to me.

Yeaaaa.... and considering how often I have to do these kinds of installs or admin... it's... well.. yea.

> Any version of gdisk will do this correctly out of the box, so you can
> just install that from your existing old distro presumably. And if you
> can't, then get a recent live CD from pretty much anybody: Fedora 23
> or Fedora 24 has gdisk already on the media, and its version of parted
> and fdisk, also included, all do alignment to 4KiB sectors correctly.
>
> Actually, on either Fedora live media version you can do
>
> dnf install https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/blivet-gui/2.0.1/1.fc25/noarch/blivet-gui-2.0.1-1.fc25.noarch.rpm
>
> Which is the current version, and it will work on F24 for sure and
> maybe/probably F23 also. And dnf will sort out any additional
> dependencies needed. It has a similar gparted style UI, but it will do
> all kinds of wild things: mdadm raid, LVM raid, Btrfs. It'll create
> the partitions, RAID, LV's, file systems, and it will discover things
> already on the drive and properly wipe their signatures with a proper
> tear down before creating the new things. So you don't end up with
> crusty old stuff coming back to haunt you some other day.

I'll check - this is CentOS... but I've (as shown in followup email) played with fdisk (which doesn't bother me) and some of the others...

now I just have to sort out this offset issue which I think I'm stuck with due to different partition sizes.

 -Ben