Re: moving spares into group and checking spares

On 14/09/16 18:52, scar wrote:
> i'm not sure what you're suggesting, that 4x 11+1 RAID5 arrays should be
> changed to 1x 46+2 RAID6 array?  that doesn't seem as safe to me.  and
> checkarray isn't going to check the spare disks just as it's not doing
> now.... also that would require me to backup/restore the data so i can
> create a new array

No. The suggestion is to convert your 4x 11+1 raid5's to 4x 12 raid6's.
(or do you mean 11 drives plus 1 parity? If that's the case I mean 11
plus 2 parity)

That way you're using all the drives, they all get tested, and if a
drive fails, you're left with a degraded raid6 aka raid5 aka redundant
array. With your current setup, if a drive fails you're left with a
degraded raid5 aka raid0 aka a "disaster in waiting".

And then you can add just the one spare disk to a spares group, so if
any drive does fail, it will get rebuilt straight away.

The only problem I can see (and I should warn you) is that there seems
to be a little "upgrading in place" problem at the moment. My gut
feeling is it's down to some interaction with systemd, so if you're not
running systemd I hope it won't bite ...

Cheers,
Wol