Re: bootsect replicated in p1, RAID enclosure suggestions?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 09:21:30PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM,  <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >> So I'd say it's something else.
> >
> > Do you have any idea what that could be?
>
> User error, you even suspect it yourself later...

Yeah, *when I created this disk layout* I might have created a GPT in
partition 1.

That was probably a year or more ago.

That has nothing to do with this crash, which is perhaps the fourth of
its kind.

I haven't touched the box in weeks before this happened, when I was
away on vacation.  Although, it could have lurked for some time,
and only been uncovered by a crash or kpanic.

> > Shorthand for "before partition 1".
>
> Unreliable. By convention most tools used to start it at LBA 63 which
> *was* based on CHS, but that's the Pleistocene (again). It's been many
> years, maybe nearing a decade, since a tool would default to that.
> First, 62 sectors isn't big enough to embed a bootloader these days.
> Second, it's not 4096 byte aligned for 4K sector drives, which now
> pretty much every hard drive is, except some higher end SCSI/SAS
> drives come with the option of 512 byte physical sectors still. But
> these are quickly vanishing. Macs typically start the first partition
> at LBA 40, and on Windows and Linux these days it's usually LBA 2048
> (1MiB gap to the first partition).

Relax, it's just to save time.  I'm aware we don't use CHS addressing
any more.  I'm also aware that Kleenex is a brand name, even though I
use it to mean tissue.  GNU/Linux, not Linux.  I get it.  Let's move on.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | if spammer then john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Computer crime, the glamor crime of the 1970s, will become in the