Re: Rewrite md raid1 member

On 20/08/16 02:43, Chris Dunlop wrote:
> Then again, I guess in the end what I'd really like is to be able to
> flag a particular disk to md for "write repair", and tell md to repair.
> Then md would read data from unflagged disks to write to the flagged
> disk (that could work for parity raids as well as mirrors).

I had that idea. I'm probably better at understanding and documenting
things, hence my interest in the raid wiki, but I'm looking at this
exact thing as a project for my first foray into kernel programming. Is
that wise? :-)

Basically, do a stripe integrity check, and optionally rewrite it? I
don't to what extent linux raid actually implements a lot of interesting
theoretical abilities, and if I can document it, I can then identify
holes and try and fill them. Especially when you're trying to recover a
broken array, the more options you have, the better ...

Unfortunately the raid wiki admin is MIA at the moment, and I really
want to hack that as a learning exercise before I start messing about
with kernel code.

Cheers,
Wol