Re: SOLVED [was Re: GPT corruption on Primary Header, backup OK, fixing primary nuked array -- help?]

On 28/07/16 00:10, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 07/27/2016 08:04 AM, Anthony Youngman wrote:
WD Blacks? Do they support SCT/ERC? I think these are desktop drives (like my
Barracudas) so you WILL get bitten by the timeout problem if anything goes
wrong. Do you know what you're doing here?
Yes, WD Blacks, and yes, at least for the last 16 years I've managed, somehow,
to provide a complete open-source backend for my law office. So I would answer
the 2nd question in the affirmative as well. You can poo-poo drive X verses
drive Y all you want, but I get a consistent 5 years out of each WD black and
plan on a replacement cycle of 1/2 that. Go with what works for you.

I'll just say I don't think the past 16 years is a good guide at all ... (but I will add I'm doing exactly the same as you - two 3TB desktop drives in a mirror :-).

The timeout problem seems to be relatively recent. MOST 1TB or less drives don't seem to have an issue. It's bigger drives that will bite you.

Cheers,
Wol