Re: unbalanced RAID5 / performance issues

On 20/06/16 19:26, Andreas Klauer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:44:55AM +0200, Jens-U. Mozdzen wrote:
Zitat von Adam Goryachev <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
As you can see, sdc (and sda) has a much higher utilisation compared
to all the other drives, but we can see the actual reads/writes are
similar across all drives.
looking at those numbers, it might not be the (effective) utilization
that's higher, but the time the SSDs spend handling the requests.
sdc also happens to be the last drive in your array.

When creating raid5, the initial sync will overwrite this drive completely.
Are you using fstrim / discard? Without TRIM this SSD might consider itself
completely full and take longer for new writes.
I'm fairly certain that all drives have been completely written to by now. The system is around 4 years old, and we do approx 200GB or more of writes per day....
I'm also fairly certain that TRIM is not working through the entire stack:
Windows 2012R2
Xen GPLPV drivers (old ones)
Xen 4.1
Linux open-iSCSI 2.0.873
Linux iscsitarget (iet) 1.4.20.3+svn502-1
DRBD 8.4.x
LVM2
Linux MD RAID5
Partitions
SSD

I never really tried to test for TRIM support through the stack, but I'd be shocked if it was working.....
Also there might be an issue with SF-2281 controller used by these SSDs:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review-cherryville-brings-reliability-to-sandforce/7

They state that even after TRIM the SSD does not return to
its prime condition...
The performance seems better on the 520 series (older series) than the 530 one.... I'm not sure which chipset/firmware the 530 series use, but I would have expected it to be better...
Looking at the spec sheets for each I see:
Model                    Seq Read    Seq Write    Random Read Random Write
2.5" 480GB 520Series    540MB/s      490MB/s    41KIOPS        80KIOPS
2.5" 480GB 530Series    550MB/s      520MB/s 50KIOPS        42KIOPS

For some reason, maybe the Random Write IOPS being almost half is causing the problems?
Apart from that, double check that your partitions are aligned.
This is usually the case but may be a huge problem if overlooked.

All of the drives are partitioned identically:
Disk /dev/sdh: 480 GB, 480101368320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 58369 cylinders, total 937697985 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

/dev/sdh1              64   937697984   468848961   fd  Lnx RAID auto

Not sure if that is "correctly aligned". I note that on newer systems/drives I see partitions starting at 2048 instead of 64, but I think that is just to allow extra space for grub/etc... I think I'll try to swap the single 530 drive with another one if I dare (means dropping redundancy on the array during the re-sync....)

My main concern is that it could be due to the way the array is configured, ie, chunk size/etc, but it does also seem to be related to the model number of the drive.

BTW, the array has been grown a couple of times, it wasn't created new with all 8 drives, so originally, sdc wasn't the last drive, it is probably the most recently added drive though.

Regards,
Adam
--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au