Re: Failure propagation of concatenated raids ?

On 15/06/16 10:18, Nicolas Noble wrote:
it
*might* make sense to look at ceph or some other distributed
filesystem.

I was trying to avoid that, mainly because that doesn't seem to be as
supported as a more straightforward raids+lvm2 scenario. But I might
be willing to reconsider my position in light of such data losses.

no filesystem I know handles that without either going
readonly, or totally locking up.

Which, to be fair, is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd rather see the
filesystem lock itself up, until a human tries to restore the failed
raid back online. But my recent experience and experiments show me
that the filesystems actually don't lock themselves up, and don't go
read only for quite some time, and heavy heavy data corruption will
then happen. I'd be much more happy if the behavior was that the
filesystem locks itself up instead of self destroying over time.
Hi Nicolas,

I have limited experience in that domain but I've usually observed that if the filesystem (say xfs) is unable to read or write its superblock it immediately goes into read only mode. MD will remain online and provide "best service" whenever possible, but as you pointed out this can be risky if you still think your RAID offers parity protection while degraded. I think in your case you're better off stopping an array that has less than parity drives than it should, either using a udev rule or using mdadm --monitor.

Regards,
Ben.