Re: Raid check didn't fix Current_Pending_Sector, but badblocks -nsv did

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:41:13 -0700
Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However after the check is over, I still have 29 Current_Pending_Sector on
> that drive.

I had that once, even asked on this list (can't find that now), and it turned
out the pending sector(s) were in the gap between the start of the partition
and the start of the mdadm actual data (which turned out to be surprisingly
large) -- so naturally neither a check nor repair have ever tried to read or
write there.

> More drive details from before I ran badblocks  (not an SMR drive):
> Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
> Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E0642444

At least if it's out of warranty, consider checking the contact pads underside
the drive PCB and cleaning them. AFAIK the WD drives in particular are known to
develop rust there, which can lead to all sorts of problems including transient
"pending" sectors like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmT32VC22PU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDTt_yjYYQ8

--