Re: Repairing R1: Part tabl, & precise command

On 06/04/2016 00:47, Adam Goryachev wrote:
That is one option (reduce the swap partition size). You might also
look at the mdadm information of the array, generally it is possible
to create a raid1 array across two devices that are different size,
and mdadm will automatically ignore the "excess" space of the larger
drive.

eg:
sda1 1000M
sdb1 1050M

The disks and partition tables will show both disks 100% full, because
the partition fills the disk
mdadm will ignore the extra 50M on sdb1 and create a raid1 array of 1000M
LVM (or whatever you put onto the raid1) will show 1000M as the total
size, and will know nothing about the extra 50M

I think mdadm is silent about size differences if the difference is
less than 10% (or some other percentage value).

Adam, thank you for confirming that reducing swap might work. I'd prefer that because I worry that if the md beneath the LVM reduces in size, then I could lose data that is in that LVM at present.

I checked fstab and realised that the swap partitions on /dev/sdb are not used, so I have gone ahead and reduced the swap partition, and rebuilt a good gpt table. That went ok. mdadm is now 'add'ing the partner partitions to the 3 md devices in the system.

[snip]

Can you provide full output of smartctl, it should show more details
on the status of the drive, what damage it might have/etc...

I thought this was good advice but apt-get isn't finding smartctl. I think your surmise is likely, though, that this disk has 'reduced' in size because of faults, and I've a new 3TB drive on its way. I'll replace this suspect disk as soon as it arrives.

Grateful for the help

regards, Ron