Re: Looking to pick PCIe x4/x8 4+ SATA expansion card recommendation.

Ram> On 03/28/2016 02:25 PM, John Stoffel wrote:
>> I just went back and checked, and I got the:
>>
>> LSI 9211 SAS9211-8i 8port low profile 6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter
>>
>> which was a DELL brand controller.  The 9207 is another model which is
>> also recommended, but this is from 2014 or even earlier.   There might
>> be newer models out there.
>>
>> I paid $123 plus shipping.  Been very happy with it, not problems at
>> all.
Ram> I searched your description and got this
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-6Gbps-8Port-PCI-Express-SATA-SAS-Host-Bus-Adapter-Hot-/380703631558

Ram> Is this the one you are talking about? In my message I mentions this,
>> www.ebay.com/itm/like/252048579357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

That looks very much how I remember mine.  Make sure you get a full
height bracket when you order, that was one of the things I had to
check as I recall now, since I have a full height tower system, not a
2U rack mounted system.

Ram> Mine is cheaper, so it worries me (BTW, for LSI 9211-8i, the
Ram> prices are all over the place). Yours claims RAID capability
Ram> (assuming IR firmware) and the other seem to be no raid (may be
Ram> IT firmware)

I just flashed the standard LSI firmware from their site as I recall.
I disabled any hardware RAID stuff as well.   Since I can't just
bounce the system to check, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Ram> Both are from China, and like you say, not sure what I will get.

I seem to recall I got it from someone in the US.

The other trick I did was to put all my data volumes on the LSI
controller, and just a pair of SSDs onto the internal SATA
controllers.  This way I know which devices I'll boot from, and it
made it simpler to know I had updated and setup GRUB properly.

You do want to test booting from a broken RAID1 boot device.  When I
recently did my big re-org, I found that to make it boot I had to move
the working boot drive to the non-working slot, since of course the
failed one was effectively /dev/first-drive and that's how grub needed
to boot.

John