Re: problems with dm-raid 6

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 03:26:30PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> At this point I'm skeptical this will work. Also, I'm not familiar
> with this overlay technique. I did look at the URL provided by
> Andreas, my concern is whether it's possible for the volume UUID to
> appear more than once to the kernel?

Thanks for pointing out this issue, I'm not familiar with btrfs at all.

Normally this would be a problem and you'd have to find some way
to change the UUID in the overlay or whatever, but if it's LUKS
encrypted that should solve the problem nicely, you just have to
stop the original RAID and close the original LUKS container
and then only open the one of the overlay.

You should not assemble the original RAID anymore anyhow, anything
you write to the array at this point will likely only increase
damages. The overlay allows you to experiment in read-"write"
mode without actually changing anything on your disks.

> The issue is raid6 assembly somehow being wonky.
> But at this point we need to hear back from Patrick.

Yes, it's quite a mystery, I hope the OP can shed some light on
what might have caused this.

Regards
Andreas Klauer