Re: Import/recover RAID6 created with SAS2108?

On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:27 PM, Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 10:20:17PM -0500, Dan Russell wrote:
>> The partially-rebuilt drive is sdk, the original “failed” drive is sdag
>
> Best to leave both out if one has outdated and the other only half
> the content…

I generally agree, but in my case the filesystem wasn’t mounted (commented out of fstab, movers dropped system, I booted system, RAID failed before I mounted the filesystem), so I’m OK with the risk.

>> However fdisk and mdadm are reporting the array is 17.6TB in size, whereas it should be 66TB (24 3TB HDDs RAID6).
>
> I reproduced your commands using tmpfs based loop devices and it gives me
> the same problem. The RAID size is only 16 TiB. It seems to be hitting a
> limit somewhere.
>
> Your /dev/mapper/sdx are snapshot/overlays, I hope?

Yes.  I can’t recommend highly enough the overlay_setup approach on the Wiki.

> DDF metadata seems to be located at the end of the device, so you could try
> your luck with mdadm 1.0 metadata instead; that gives me a RAID of a size
> closer to home.

This got me closer, but the LVM2 label was missing.  When I’d previously assembled the RAID in the container, I noticed algorithm 10; whereas with this approach it was 2.  I switched it to 10 and my array is back.  fsck (xfs_repair -n, really) says the FS is clean and random poking at files seems to back that up.

I have a backup, of course, but doing a disk-to-disk verify/recovery is going to be so much quicker.

Thank you so much for your help, Andreas and all the contributors to the “RAID_Recovery” and “Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID” Wiki pages.