Re: When do you replace old hard drives in a raid6?

Hi

On 03/07/2016 01:29 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> I replace drives when their relocation count hits double digits.  In my
> limited sample, that's typically after 40,000 hours.

It really depends a lot on the drive type and manufacturer (for example
see the various reports by Backblaze).

We run quite a number of "desktop" style drives and many have seen 60k
and more power on hours, but then our data collection is a bit biased as
we replace disks once they do not complete a "long" smartcheck (smartctl
-t long).

I've attached a sorted list of current data, columns are mostly:

manufacturer
model number
reallocated sectors (ID 5 of smartctl -a)
power on hours (also according to smartctl -a)

So, not sure one could infer much from these lines due to the inherent bias.

Personally, I would monitor the number of reallocated and pending
blocks, run short tests often and long tests about once a week. This
should give you at least some hint, if a drive may go down. And if it
does unexpectedly, you should be covered by RAID6.

Cheers

Carsten