Re: When do you replace old hard drives in a raid6?

On 03/06/2016 06:29 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
On 03/05/2016 03:49 PM, Ram Ramesh wrote:
I am curious if people actually replace hard drives periodically because
they are old or out of warranty. My 5 device raid6 has several older
drives (3/5 are 3+ years old and out of warranty) They seem fine with
SMART and raid scrubs. However, it makes me wonder when they will die.
What is the best policy in such situations? More importantly, do people
wait for disks to die and then replace or have some ad hoc schedule of
replacing (like every 6mo replace oldest) to keep things safe?
I replace drives when their relocation count hits double digits.  In my
limited sample, that's typically after 40,000 hours.

Phil

Thanks for the data point. 40K hours means roughly 4.5 years with 24/7. That is very good. You use enterprise drives? Mine are desktop (and may be one HGST NAS)

My SMART is perfect except for power on hours. I am going to take it easy for now as I have a spare (not part of a RAID) just in case something bad happens.

Ramesh