RE: Checkarray doesn't seem to do anything

Yup, I wasn't root.  My fault!

Rodman
  -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: Checkarray doesn't seem to do anything
 From: Piergiorgio Sartor <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx>
 Date: Wed, March 02, 2016 11:44 am
 To: rodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Cc: Piergiorgio Sartor <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx>,
 linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:50:09PM -0700, rodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 > It appears this is not an Mdadm bug but is in fact kernel/dash issue
as
 > you noted, Piergiorgio.
 >
 > >From the bug tracker here:
 >
 > "This is a kernel/dash issue. In kernel 4.0, the md sysfs
implementation
 > does not work with partial reads from /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action;
 > the read syscall returns the entire contents of the file even if you
 > try to read less. Dash has an inefficient implementation which reads
 > input one byte at a time, and fails when it hits the kernel
 > misbehavior."

 Just tested:

 dd if=/sys/block/md0/md/sync_action bs=1 count=1

 On kernel 3.x I get "i", on kernel 4.x I get "idle"... :-)

 > The work around is what you said. Substitute bash for sh at the
 > beginning of the script. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me as I
 > get this error when trying to run checkarray now:
 > "checkarray: E: /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action not writeable."

 Well, first check the permissions with:

 ls -l /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

 Then make sure you're root, otherwise it will
 not be possible to write, of course.

 bye,

 pg

 > I'll do some research to see what's that's about. I'm glad to know
its
 > not a Mdadm issue per say.
 >
 > Rodman Frowert

But
 > > of course, if checkarray doesn't work then people may think it is
 > > running once a month when it really isn't.
 >
 > Exactly!
 > I've some Ubuntu 14.04.x with old kernel, and one
 > with new kernel.
 > This one has a "weak" HDD in RAID (one / some blocks
 > waiting for relocation).
 > In my sytems the check occurs weekly, but it did not!
 > Tried from command line to no avail...
 > Debugging the script led to the previous result.
 >
 > I'm not sure, maybe someone should file a bug, but I
 > have not to much faith in Ubuntu md/mdadm support.
 > In the past they were slow or no reacting, and "mdadm"
 > was always an obsolete version (like it is in 14.04.x).
 > Maybe Debian could be a better place, not sure.
 >
 > bye,
 >
 > pg
 >

 > > Rodman Frowert -------- Original Message --------
 > > Subject: Re: Checkarray doesn't seem to do anything
 > > From: Piergiorgio Sartor <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx>
 > > Date: Tue, March 01, 2016 3:33 pm
 > > To: rodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > > Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > >
 > > On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 02:09:44PM -0700, rodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

 > > > Hello,
 > > >
 > > > I have a question as it pertains to the checkarray function of
Mdadm.

 --

 piergiorgio