Re: md raid5 on top of dmcrypt, or dmcrypt on top of md raid5?

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
>> But can someone confirm that indeed if I have a single md device,
>> and 4 CPUs, my throughput is not limited by a single CPU decrypting
>> the device?
>
> There have been multiple discussions about this over time, and since
> you didn't qualify "not good" with a number, it's hard to say if this
> is your problem or not.

About a year ago when I last received a new laptop, I put btrfs on top
of luks - it was a rather miserable experience. The system would freeze
up and be really slow.

I believe the issue was btrfs not acting well with crypto underneath it,
and there was hallway talk confirming this but I have no hard data. In
the end I gave up and put my /home on xfs on top of LUKS and used btrfs
for the uncrypted portions.

It may be the btrfs with crypto issues have been resolved since then.

Cheers,
Jes