Re: Problem with array raid10 array resync on 4.4.0 (keeps reyncing each reboot)

On 28/01/2016 19:25, Shaohua Li wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 08:24:29AM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
On 27/01/2016 00:31, Shaohua Li wrote:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 03:49:42PM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
Hi,

My raid 10 array (5 disk with one spare) was doing a  resync after an
upgrade to 4.4.0 from 4.1.15. The resync progress was steady and at the end
the /proc/mdstat was apparently complete but when rebooting, it started
resycing over and over. I noticed my dmesg was totally filled with raid10
conf printout message so it was impossible to trace anything else.

Did a resync test with 3.14.58 (because I knew it had worked for resync
before and was still available as a boot option)  and the array was
correctly rebuild.
Runs fine with 4.1.16 now.

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed.

Could you please provide more info, like mdadm -D /dev/md0 in v4.4? If you run
a stop/reassemble, does the resync start?

I'm not going to retry kernel 4.4.0 on this device as I'm no more confident
about raid10 support with this 4.4 version.

Thanks! I know switching to a kernel which is not working well is risky, but
the info from 4.1 doesn't have enough info for debuging. I also tried to
reproduce the issue locally, but no success. Did you have any other info which
could help debugging, for example special config?

If really needed can rebuild a 4.4 kernel and boot it. What do you mean by special config? I can send you my kernel .config once rebuild (oldconfig from 4.1.16)

But I doubt the problem will show up now that the array is correctly rebuild. From memory I used 4.4 kernel without problem for a few days, until it decided to resync the array for an unknown reason (standard periodic rebuild, disk block read/write error detected, other?).

NB: I have a disk on the array with 56 sectors in error reported by smart and noticed read error/SATA reset sequence during first array rebuild sequence, but not in any later resync afterward. It did not even decided to use the spare disk...

Let me know how I can help debugging further...

-- eric