RAID 5,6 sequential writing seems slower in newer kernels

Hi,

I have a NAS system with 12 spinning disks that has been running with
the 2.6.39.4 kernel. It has a 4 core xeon processor (E31275 @
3.40GHz), with 8 GB of RAM.  The 12 disks in my RAID array are Hitachi
4 TB, 7200 RPM SATA drives.  The filesystem is XFS.

Recently I have been evaluating RAID performance on newer kernels 3.10
and 4.2.  I have observed that with the same settings, I am seeing
much slower RAID 5 and 6 sequential write speeds with newer kernels
compared to what I was seeing with the 2.6.39.4 kernel.  However, the
4.2 kernel has much better read speeds for both sequential and random
patterns.  I understand that there have been many improvements to RAID
5 and 6 in the 4.1 kernel.  I definitely am seeing improvement with
reads but not writes.

If I observe disk and array throughput with iostat, the individual
disk utilization and wMB/s is much lower in the newer kernels.  With
the older 2.6.39.4 kernel, disk utilization seems to stay above 80%
with wMB/s around 74 MB/s, whereas the newer kernel disk utilization
seems to vary between 20-70% with wMB/s around 9-38 MB/s.  CPU iowait
gets up to about 10% much of the time.  These Hitachi disks are
capable of sustaining around 170 MB/s, which is just about what I see
when doing sequential writes to all 12 disks concurrently in a JBOD
configuration, i.e no RAID.  The iowait for 12 disks of JBOD gets up
to about 97% - which makes the system very unresponsive.

One other observation is that RAID 0 sequential write speeds in newer
kernels are only slightly less than what I was seeing in 2.6.39.4.

I am frankly surprised at these results.  Perhaps there is some
configuration or tunable settings that have changed since the 2.6
kernel that I am unaware of that affect RAID 5, 6 performance.  Please
comment if you have any ideas which might explain what I am seeing.

Thanks,

Dalla