Re: RAID 6 Not Mounting (Block device is empty)

On 11/08/2015 12:59 AM, Francisco Parada wrote:

>> Ok.  Those four drives cut out within a few milliseconds of each other.
> So I checked the enclosure’s PSU voltages, and it looks like the +5V rail was running at around +3V and the +12V rail at almost +8V under load.  So I think your original theory of there being a power issue is correct.  It’s a bummer, because I have 2 of these Rosewill 8-bay enclosures, and they both show that same issue.  This is very likely why they’ve been discontinued.  Granted the speed on them is 1.5Gbps total per channel, but it’s really just for movies, so I’m not concerned about high speed read and writes.  I’ll just have to McGuyver it and use different PSUs than the ones they came with.  I would imagine, that after about 500GB worth of data being transferred, all the writing caused those drives to get pretty hot, making the PSU that much more likely to cut power.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132016

I consider this *good* news :-)

>> Also, in the future, turn off word wrap when pasting. :-)
> Boom!  Done deal, there was a setting in my Apple Mail application under Mail -> Preferences -> Fonts & Colors -> “Use fixed-width font for plain text messages”.  I think this might fix this word wrap issue, so my apologies.  It’s either that, or the fact that I copied and pasted directly from my Terminal application, and it converted the email to HTML, which changed the format.

Apple Mail? Eeeewwww!  :-)

In Thunderbird, word wrap is a separate setting.  You might want to
experiment a bit.

> Now, onto the butter.  I tried what you told me, and it showed that the devices were busy:

Yeah, that's normal with partial successes.  Also, consider not using
md127.  That's mdadm's "I don't know what number to use" default.
(Followed by 126, then 125, as so on.)

> Then I tried it once again, but it seems that because they’re displaying that the Events are out of sync, that it’s not able to start the array.  Any ideas?

The --force option is supposed to override that.  I suspect since you
are running an old kernel, 3.19, you are also runnning an old mdadm.  I
recall some assemble bugs being fixed in the past few years.  Boot your
system temporarily with a rescue CD -- I recommend the one at
www.sysrescuecd.org -- that has current kernels and mdadm.  That'll let
you complete the assembly.  After that, with the array idle, a normal
shutdown will let your old kernel assemble it.

Consider upgrading your system when all is safe.

Phil