Re: Advice requested re: hard drive setup for RAID arrays

On 11/04/2015 10:43 AM, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I'd like to make this response a to all but your comments are directed to me
> in particular and therefore don't really apply to 'all'.

You didn't reply-to-all -- I've added the list back.  It is important
that these conversations occur in public.

[trim /]

> I'm sorry - - - my computer is a tool, my computers are tools (I have more
> than one and am looking at setting up quite a few more to organize and
> manage any one of my 4 businesses.
>
> Reading does not inconvenience me but I fail to see why I need to become
> an expert in every tool used by my business to use that tool. That is not
> normally part of the system nor my goal. Most of the businessmen that
> I have met know far less about their systems than even I do yet you are
> suggesting that I'm 'whining'.
>
> Your phrasing  is suggesting that I am 'less than responsible' - - - rather
> I think that you have made computers to be a major item in your day and
> I would prefer that computers are tools. If tools do not work then I change them
> as there just aren't enough hours in the day as it is with what I have to do.
>
> I do appreciate your assistance but if you have a hard time agreeing to disagree
> about the extent of knowledge needed to use the computers I have collected
> to run my business then I would rather not ask any more questions here.
>
> Trusting that that will be acceptable to you - - -

No, it's not acceptable.

I too am a business owner -- over a decade now.  As an engineer and
consultant, I have and use many tools, both physical and virtual.  The
ones I use myself, I learn enough to use to the professional standards
needed.  Where I cannot, I pay for others to do the necessary work, or I
pay to switch tools.

I've benefited from the fact that linux is free, and provides many free
tools, and benefited from the many ways to get free advice and
assistance for it.  I take time away from my own business to offer free
advice and assistance on this list as a volunteer, as partial payback
for what I've received.

I tolerate a certain amount of neediness in newcomers, as skill varies
greatly.  But when my advice is repeatedly rejected and denigrated while
I'm trying to save someone's digital life, I have to draw a line.  I'm
no longer surprised your off-list assistance faded away.  Linux
distributors like Canonical and Red Hat offer paid tech support for
people with your requirements.

You've implied that your business has been hostage to this crisis for
the past two months.  If that's not irresponsible, I don't know what is.

Good Day,

Phil Turmel